Future Tense with “Will”
We also use “will” for future actions, but usually for the following situations:
1. When the future action is 100% certain to happen.
2. When the speaker is speaking with determination.
3. When the speaker promises to do something.
4. When the speaker offers to do something voluntarily.
5. When the speaker is making a prediction.
- She will come to my party.
(The speaker is certain that the girl will be at the party.)
- I will pass the exam tomorrow because I studied very hard for it.
(The speaker is speaking with determination.)
- I promise I will call you everyday while I’m in Ecuador.
(The speaker has made a promise.)
- I’ll help you fix your car.
(The speaker is offering to help someone voluntarily.)
- Brazil will win The World Cup.
(The speaker is confident in her prediction.)
The structure is as follows:
|Subject||+ Will||+ Verb in Infinitive Form||+ Complementizer|
|Mount Everest tomorrow.|
|a new car.|
The pronouns can be contracted as follows:
I’ll go to the store.
You’ll feel better.
She’ll call when she gets a chance.
He’ll be back in one minute.
It’ll be a great party!
We’ll go to your house for dinner.
They’ll come to visit us soon.
The negative form of will is will + not = “won’t”.
- I won’t go to the store.
- He won’t be back soon.
- She won’t call you later, she’s got a meeting.
- It won’t be a great party.
- They won’t come to our house for dinner.
- We won’t stay home for Christmas.
Some common expressions that indicate the use of “will” are:
I think, I am sure, probably, I am certain, and maybe.
- I think the world will have a good future.
- I’m sure she will go to the party.
- He’ll probably go to the bar with his friends.
- I’m certain I’ll pass the exam.
- Maybe they’ll work overtime.
When asking questions with “will” there are no changes in the verb, it stays in the infinitive form.
Question: Will you be at the meeting later today?
Answer: Yes, I will.
Question: Will they go on vacation next year?
Answer: Yes they will.
Question: Do you think she will return to school?
Answer: No, I don’t think she will.
Question: Will she marry that guy?
Answer: No, she probably won’t.